.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thomases in India

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Departure from Agra

January 3rd,
we departed from Agra as scheduled, after resting all afternoon at the hotel, then taxi to the train station for our uneventful trainride back to Delhi.
I felt more self-assured this time to run the gauntlet of the taxi-wallahs, as the Wongdhen House owner had told me it should cost 180 to 200 rupees for the cab ride.
When the first guy who latched on to us offered 300 rupees, I just said no, that's too expensive, they told me it should be 180 rupees. He complained about night-time charges, and queue charges, and other charges. I just kept walking toward the head of the taxi queue. "250 rupees!" I just kept walking to the head of the taxi queue. "o.k., o.k., 200 rupees." I turned around, he pointed me to his "colleague" who drove us north to the Tibetan Colony near the famous Sikh shrine of Majnu-ka-Tilla. The driver was the wildest we've had, but he nicely asked around to find the place -- at the last point, one young guy that he asked simply hopped in the front seat and rode with us through some narrow alleys, and pointed us right to Wongdhen House. By now it's midnight, but I had phoned earlier in the day to confirm our arrival, so the doorkeeper let us in, gave us keys, and pointed us to our rooms upstairs. Plain, simple, and the mattresses were (typically) hard, but all was quite clean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home